logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fldigi CW
K3OS
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 8:32:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Is it possible to modify the appropriate files to send CW using Fldigi with a K3s. In other words when CW mode was selected, put the K3s in Data A mode and route Fldigi audio to the USB soundcard. Perhaps there is another method?

Thanks.

Gary
K3OS
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
admin
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 3:47:47 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Gqry

I think there is no other (simple) way than using the sound card. Now I must see if USB/LSB can be selected instead of DATA-A. By default DATA-A is the more appropriate. Do you prefer USB or LSB ?

As for using a true keying method, there is some interface described on the web (which translates audio into dit/dah...).

73, Laurent
Laurent F6DEX
K3OS
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:29:16 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the response. I'm OK with using audio from Fldigi to send CW. In LSB/USB mode I can't get the K3s internal USB soundcard to accept input. In Data A mode, however, the USB soundcard input is active. I'll disable rig control and see if it works OK. Will post the results tomorrow.

Gary
K3OS
K3OS
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:56:55 PM(UTC)

Had time today and tried Data A mode disabling rig control. While it works to transmit CW, on RX the passband only goes to 1100Hz, which is not a pitch I'd like to use. I don't know if that lower limit can be changed in the rig. Perhaps your suggestion to use the external line-in on the radio fed from the computer line out. I need to try that and see what I have to do to switch to the mic, etc.

On the CW topic, if the Terminal window could be made scalable, that would also do it for me. I need slightly larger print in my senior years.

Gary
K3OS
K3OS
#5 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 2:15:44 PM(UTC)

I disabled rig control from Fldigi, set the K3s to line in, and using manual TX I was, of course, able to pass audio CW tones into the K3s. Even if was possible to use USB while Fldigi was in CW mode, the mic selection would have to be changed, perhaps in a macro. This is not a very simple or elegant solution. Also TX/RX switching would be under Vox delay. Using TT and not FLdigi or building an audio to CW interface is the cleanest solution as far as I can determine.

Gary
admin
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2017 9:52:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Gary

Thank you for feedback. I tested it also a little here. In fact and this is normal, TRX-Manager does not select the operating mode itself (but sometime I forget what TRX-manager does hi hi). You have to select it either from the RIg, TRX or FLDIGI. In CW, the mode to choose is either LSB or USB (DATA modes are not usable because of the filtering issues) which means you must route the audio (from the couputer) to the MIC input... not convenient, I agree.

You are right, a good way to send/receive CW is the TT mode if you need CW decoding. Unfortunately, this TT screen is not scalable (up to now).

If you don't need CW decoding, you can use the K3 with "CW Internal" option checked from the SETUP screen and use the CW Terminal(CTRL-K). This window is scalable.

An other option is to check CW Internal (setup), use the CW Interface (in CW mode) to send CW and use FLDIGI for decoding... In that case, it is preferable to disable RIG control (from FLDIGI) because you don't want TRX-manager to be set by FLDIGI when you tune a CW station with the mouse. An advantage of this configuration is that you can still control the K3 from TRX-Manager (while in TT mode, some of the CAT control commands are disabled).

I rarely use CW decoding but decoding from FLDGI is preferable because if CW decoding is selected (K3 : TEXT DEC selected), AGC is set to slow and this is not my choice.

By the way. An interesting way to use the K3 in PSK or RTTY is MMVARI from TRX-Manager. You combine decoding from MMVARI and KEYING from the K3 directly (see doc).

Hope this helps,

Laurent
Laurent F6DEX
K3OS
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2017 4:14:39 PM(UTC)

Laurent -

Thanks for your response. I, too, have little use for CW decoding. Being familiar with FLDigi, I hoped I could use it as a single interface for all non-voice modes. That is possible with an external audio to key interface as we have discussed. MMVari and MultiPSK add two additional user interfaces that I'd rather not have to learn at this time :) It's quite a task to digest the nuances of TRX-Manager.

I have also been testing the smartphone remote, using the free Linphone SIP application point-to-point. It supports many CODECS which I am evaluating, and will auto-answer. It would be a very interesting to run FLDigi on a Raspberry PI, or AndFLDigi on a tablet connected to the phone.

Regards,

Gary
admin
#8 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2017 12:06:45 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Gary

OK. I understand but it is difficult to find a program which does all perfectly. FLDIGI is very nice but, at least for RTTY and PSK I prefer to use MMVARI with the direct keying capabilities of the K3 through TRX-Manager. I don't use a keyboard for CW keying : I don't like the keyboard whatever the program, even TRX-Manager ! I now use MULTIPSK for the other modes than PSK and RTTY.

Good luck with the smartphone. Don't hesitate to share your experience !...

73, Laurent

Laurent F6DEX